To prevent burnout, it’s necessary for us to actually make time to do nothing.
We all need downtime and relaxation to help nourish our minds and re-charge, and we don’t need to make every minute of the day productive to have a fulfilling life.
But when we have a day off for ourselves, it also presents us an opportunity to fulfill obligations we may not have had time for the rest of the week.
Striking that balance is key, and today we’re talking about downtime, relaxation, and mostly, just how to have a good day off.
How to Have a Good Day Off
Is it OK to Relax and Do Nothing?
Firstly, it’s not wrong to turn off your to-do list for a day, or even longer. You’re not a bad person if you do it, even if it means putting all your obligations on hold, as long as they’re not urgent.
In fact, you might be surprised to find that there are actual benefits to doing nothing once in a while.
While distracted, the mind jumps to the most obvious answers when trying to solve problems. But when we turn off all distractions, it allows space for our subconscious to expand, potentially boosting our creativity for finding solutions.
How Can I Have Fun Alone?
- Go out for a long walk.
- Create a bucket list.
- Write a song.
- Draw or paint.
- Listen to music.
- Learn a new skill.
- Visit a local museum.
How Do You Spend a Day Off?
Free or Cheap Fun Ways to Spend Your Day Off:
- Be a tourist in your own city.
- Tour a brewery or winery.
- Start a blog.
- Go to a library.
- Try out a new recipe.
- Visit an animal shelter.
- Read a new book.
- Take a free online class.
How Can I Enjoy a Day at Home?
How to Enjoy a Day at Home:
- Bake or cook.
- Clean up.
- Treat yourself.
- Read a book.
- Binge-watch your favourite show.
Where Can I Go When I’m Bored?
Places to Go When You’re Bored:
- Have a picnic at a nearby park.
- Read a book at a local cafe.
- Check out the latest outdoor attractions near you.
- Invite family and friends for a meal somewhere fun.
What Should I Do Today With My Friend?
Fun Things to Do With Friends That Are Cheap or Free:
- Have an at-home spa day.
- Host a potluck dinner.
- Play some board games.
- Go on a biking adventure.
- Have a retro movie marathon.
What if I Have No Friends?
Some Tips to Help Make New Friends:
- Don’t be afraid to meet new people.
- Find people who have similar interests.
- Turn acquaintances into friends.
- Be open-minded.
- Don’t be afraid of rejection.
- Volunteer your time somewhere fun or fulfilling.
- Be open with people about who you are.
- Don’t fear shyness or social anxiety, it’s very normal.
How Do I Get New Experiences?
Free New Experiences:
- Try a different route to work or school.
- Explore a new hobby.
- Take a walk around your local area that you haven’t been before.
- Go for a walk in countryside you haven’t seen before.
- Re-unite with an old friend you haven’t seen for a long time.
- Go for a bike ride.
What’s Something New I Can Do Today?
Small Ways You Can Shake Up Your Life Today:
- Perform a random act of kindness.
- Go to lunch with a co-worker you barely know.
- Throw stuff away.
- Start a meditation practice.
- Test-drive a new car.
- Move your furniture around, or re-decorate.
Personally, I like unstructured time during my days off.
I put a high value on this and you could say that I schedule my unscheduled time. A good rule of thumb for me is to take at least one day off a week to do nothing at all, or just indulge in a selfish me-day.
It’s not that I do nothing, just that I let the day come to me, and try to act spontaneously as I see fit. We need space in our lives for good things to happen.
I do understand that family obligations and commitments can make that a challenge for many people.
Let me know some of the activities you like to do on your days off, or are you currently too overwhelmed with life’s obligations to enjoy a day off?
One thought on “How to Have a Good Day Off”
Such a great time off.
LikeLiked by 1 person